Sara - Durham, North Carolina

If I were to draw a timeline of my life and mark every significant event that has happened to me I would have a song to match every moment. There isn’t a day that goes by where I don’t listen to music, whether from a concert at my school, my friends jamming with their guitars, or just listening to the radio. I believe music is necessary in a person’s life.

I can trace my love for music to my childhood when my mom was sick in bed most days and my dad worked all the time. Plastic toys are only so much fun in solitude, but reading, writing, and listening to music were activities I could do just as well by myself. There are gaps in my memory that jump from listening to Winnie-the-Pooh to Black Sabbath, or it could be that I listened to both at the same time. I didn’t know all of the words that well, but I would play with the Playskool radio’s mini-microphone and pretend like I did. I grew up wanting to be a singer, more specifically Ozzy Osbourne.

From there on out my preferences in music have helped make certain moments special, from singing in my elementary school choir, to bonding with my best friend over Michael Jackson. From slow dancing on my first date to “Makin’ Memories of Us” to learning the “Soulja Boy” dance at camp. From sobbing “Just the Tequilla Talking” afterbeing rejected by a guy I really liked, to finding out I suck at tetherball while classic rock blasted the stereo at my friend’s party the other weekend.

I believe that music enhances our life and makes every moment, every feeling more powerful. And on those days when nothing’s happening, well, the band Boston summarizes it best; “when I’m tired and thinking cold, I hide in my music, forget the day, and dream of the [people] I used to know. I closed my eyes and [they] slipped away.”