Going for the Olympic Gold

Nick - Berkeley, California
Themes: sports

Nick S

Weverka

Period 2

The skiers came racing down the hill. The ground was overflowing in nothingness: it was covered in the white of fluffy, downy snow. I would see that the hill was at a sharp angle and it was dotted with posts that had cloth between them with some type of symbol. It was hard to make out what the symbol was because the air was as white as snow as was the ground. The last thing I remember was that the guy wearing a United States flag on his chest came zooming down and the clock that was pictured in the corner of the screen had winning numbers. My whole family jumped up and down.

When I was a little kid we used to sit around in front of our family television and watch the Olympics. Whenever the USA won during the Olympics, we would all chant “USA, USA!” I could feel the heat of connection that this event brought to our country, how it unified everyone and brought pride to America. This type of pride wasn’t just about being proud to be part of your country, it was the type of pride that brought tears to your eyes and made you want to bleed and sweat America.

I believe that the Olympics unite countries and bring pride to their citizens in a way that no other event can possible do.

I don’t know why a sporting event has this type of impact on a human. It seems kind of funny. It’s not like your country is winning some big, important philosophical debate or that the United States has somehow saved the world from some giant catastrophe. Those are things you should easily get excited about. But somehow a sports team or an individual representing the USA inspires you to new heights of excitement in a way that saving the world or beating Nikita Sergeyevich Khrushchev never could. I guess you could say the Olympics are like a huge gladiator pit with all the countries throwing their people in it hoping to see who comes out the winner.

I think some of the excitement comes not only from rooting for your country—and everything it stands for—but with hanging out with your family in a group setting. That’s a rare thing these days. My father says he remembers when the USA hockey team beat the Russians in ice hockey in 1980. He said people rushed into the streets chanting “USA, USA, USA!” and literally danced in the streets.

Knowing that these athletes are going out and giving it their all for your country is what brings this sense of pride. And with the Olympics coming up soon, I just can’t help feeling that our country will feel more united than it has in recent years. Even though I probably will never participate in the Olympics, it still gives me that same rush and pride knowing our country is going for the gold.