I believe in taxes

Sharon - Chattanooga, Tennessee

I believe in taxes.

That doesn’t mean I enjoy them. I believe in gravity– nifty equations, and it’s great for keeping stuff on shelves. But I was not a big fan when I fell and broke my shoulder.

I like what taxes provide: roads, post office, safe food, fresh water, clean air. A free market economy might give me those– but only after a chaotic interval of shoddy products and consumer tragedy.

I like the safety my taxes provide. Not just safety from invasion by Russia or China or England– they did it in 1812, you can’t be too careful– but the safety of a citizenry used to social order, education, bread and circuses, where most families can survive without banditry, kidnapping, and setting their elders adrift on icebergs.

I suppose local government could do that– but given economic discrepancies, I’d be sitting here worrying about invasion by Alabama or North Georgia.

And I like the way my taxes pay or parks, art, science. Things that– like security and 3 meals a day– were only for the rich in the past. And in much of the world today.

There are those who want a flat tax, or no tax. In my experience, those are the people who can best afford to pay, and don’t realize that they have the most to lose.The short-sighted. The entitled. And the just plain paranoid.

Yes, I believe in taxes. Just don’t expect me to be celebrating on the Ides of April.