I Believe in Kindnesse

Jamie - Cincinnati, Ohio

I believe that you can always count on the kindness of others. Throughout my life it has seemed that whenever one is in need, someone is there to help; whether it be a close friend or a complete stranger.

My first experience with this was when I was 2 years old. Running around with my sister in an AT&T phone store, I fell smashing my head against the corner of one of the glass display tables. I cracked my head open from top to bottom and it began to bleed perfusely. My mom was attempting to help me while watching my sister and calling 911 at the same time. This was when a complete stranger, wearing what appeared to be a brand new white fur coat, came over and wrapped her coat around my head to stop the bleeding. As soon as the medics came the lady removed her coat and was gone, she didn’t even wait around for a thank you.

This kindness from others had continued to play out throughout my life. I’ve it frequently sometimes as simple as the casual door opening when your hands are too full. The most extravagent defree of kindness that I have seen was last year. As I was recovering from an injury I needed an immense amount of physical therapy. Unfortunately, our insurance would only cover 2 sessions per week. My physical therapist, Dawn, knew this was not enough and went above and beyond to help me. She came in at 6 a.m. every Tuesday and Thursday and would work with my foot for an hour before her work day even started. She also used her own free time to meet me at the gym and work with my ankle. However, her help and kindness was not only in rehabing my ankle but extended further. Before junior homecoming, she took time away from the football game she was working and taped my ankle so that I would be able to take off the gym shoes I’d been forced to wear for the past 3 months and wear dress shoes. Various times before certain events, she would meet with me and tape my foot. She was a complete blessing and her kindness was unbelievable.

I try to live my life showing kindness to others because I know that I will continue to receive the blessings of kindness in return.