Happy Living!

Tonette - Waynesburg, Pennsylvania

I have a blog on MySpace and while I use it to keep track of books I have read and to throw ideas out there that are running around in my head, I also use it to challenge people to live happy lives.

For those of you who aren’t familiar with my blog, and the number is great as I only have 109 friends on my MySpace, let me explain by what I mean by challenge. This is part of what I wrote last May when I decided to blog challenges, “This week my friends, my family; my community, lost two wonderful people. Yesterday at their memorial service and later at Alumni Hall as I listened to family and friends talk about the extraordinary lives Bill and Kathy lived an idea began to form. Words swirled around me all afternoon: compassionate, loving, generous, gracious, inspiring, humble, kind, and I thought what would happen if we all lived the way they lived? What kind of world could we create if we all truly celebrated, lived, and felt blessed in every moment?” I borrowed a challenge a week concept from a friend. Each Saturday I would post a challenge, my focus celebrating a happy life.

What I didn’t write last May was this was a way for me to deal with a profound grief that had settled around me. Kathy and Bill’s death was the third loss that my community had to come to terms with; the first being the death of six children and one adult in a house fire, one of those wonderful children was a friend of my 11-year-old, the second was a car crash that killed a beautiful young women, Hope. It is hard for me to believe that over a year has passed since the fire that took Tiff’s life and that I was at a dinner celebrating Hope’s life last week, and that in May it will be a year for Kathy and Bill. While I have lost that shaken and dazed feeling, I have not forgotten, will never forget, their lives.

I believe that I can make a difference with my once a week challenges. I believe that there is no right or wrong way to do them. There is no quiz at the end, just one person trying to live a happy life and inspire one more person to do the same.

Happy Living!