Finding Individuality Through Pants

Katie - Eagle, Idaho

I believe in wearing bright red pants.

They may be dorky. They maybe vibrant and out-of-the-ordinary. I don’t care; I like them.

The problem is that too many people are afraid to wear something different. Too many people wear the typical jeans or khaki pants. But not me; I wear what I like and think for myself.

It’s something I have always struggled with. It wasn’t until the summer prior to high school that I noticed I was becoming a follower. If anyone asked, I was a republican. A Christian. I liked pop music and wanted to be popular. I believed what my family believed and followed my friends. There was something wrong with this picture; my lack of individuality… my lack of a pair of bright red pants.

It takes time to find your pair of colorful pants. You have to go to many stores and try on many sizes and styles before you find the perfect pair. You have to listen to your friends opinions on the matter, but in the end the decision on which to buy is yours.

When I discovered my capability of thinking for myself, I knew I had to really learn. I had to begin exploring my options on many different aspects of my life. I had to learn to listen to other people, but not just adopt their opinions without question. Take, for instance, my love of music. I listened to what was on the radio, and I never really liked it. I wasn’t really into music. But I couldn’t just pick up a type of music and love it; I had to explore different possibilities. I asked my friends and received a variety of music, from techno to heavy metal. I acquired a music taste of my own involving a variety of diverse rock n’ roll groups; my own taste with my friends’ input. I found what I liked, and so should everyone else. I really believe that every person who says, “I’m not really into music,” just hasn’t explored every possibility. Every person has a style of music, they just have to find it.

Your pants may be an expensive pair; mine sure were. When I began to think for myself and discover what I truly loved, I had to make a lot of changes. I needed to start over. My need for change and independence in my life led me to go to a different high school than my friends. It’s been hard seeing them less, but I thought, and continue to think, that this independence is what I needed. Starting over as an individual has led me to live a happier life, now with two different groups of friends at two different schools. The happiness was worth it.

You also have to know that your pants aren’t forever. You may grow out of them, but that’s okay. It’s important to allow your opinion to change. And maybe now you can buy a new pair of pants… purple, perhaps?