The impact of A Decision

Cliff - Milford, Connecticut

I believe there are moments far down the path from a significant decision made when you look back and assess that choice by looking where it has taken you.

In the middle of 2002 I made such a decision and acted on it. This decision immediately altered the direction of my life for what I believe is for the better.

At that moment in my life I had an abundance of personal space, time, and financial resources. I traveled extensively and worked only when I really needed to. It seemed on the surface I was doing pretty well. Though in reality, it felt shallow and without purpose. There was no one in my life to share my success with.

I was most definitely looking for a woman to share my life with. Someone to be my partner and blend they’re experiences, ideas and desires with mine. Fatherhood was far from being considered.

I made the decision to ask my girlfriend for her hand in marriage. Fortunately for me, she said yes!

She already had a daughter and, I didn’t know at the time, a bun in the oven with my name on it. My decision was based solely, my feelings for my girlfriend, her daughter and what kind of husband and father I thought I could be if I really, really tried my best.

Where am I now? After three years, I am being taught fatherhood by two wonderful children; Megan and Ben. My wife, Christine, is working hard everyday to make sure I am the husband she thinks I should be! (I’ll get in trouble for that). I am happy and fulfilled beyond belief.

I no longer have an abundance of personal space, time or financial resources. But that’s ok. It turns out not to really be the sacrifice I thought it was.

I look back on the decision, and am so happy I made it. There have been and will be more big decisions to be made. If I’m lucky, maybe just a few will turn out as well as this one.