I Believe Life Is Like a Song

Eliza - Hamden, Connecticut

I Believe Life Is Like a Song

“I believe for that every rain drop that falls, a flower grows And I believe that somewhere in the darkest night a candle glows.”

Those lyrics are from one of my favorite country singer Dolly Parton’s song “I Believe.” As someone I aspire to be like, I believe in her way of life in the song but I also believe that life is like a song. Elements of life are like parts of songs, just like all songs’ changes of tempos are like the struggles, challenges, and successes we go through. To quote another artist, Opus, he says that life is life in a song titled “Life Is Life.” Life isn’t just life. It is defiantly something else. Some special, created, out of this world thing: Song.

Parts. There are parts in everything. Cars, houses, humans, animals, and even life and songs have parts. Sometimes things even have similar parts to each other. Songs and life have comparable parts to them. The first parts of songs are the introductions. It is the part where when you turn the radio on in your car and you suddenly turn the volume louder because your favorite song just came on. In life, we as well have an “intro.” When children are born, family and friends get the excited, jump and dance in your seat feeling that tweens and teens get when the so-called “hottest band” comes on the radio. Another part of song is the part where you know the lyrics by heart from it repeating itself so much in the song otherwise know as the chorus. The “chorus” in life are birthdays. They occur year after year, (or verse after verse in music language.) Whenever a child, or even an adult, has a birthday in my family, we have a celebration where we do things that are kind-of memorized like the lyrics in the chorus. We naturally have the Happy Birthday song in our heads, “Happy Birthday to you, happy birthday…” you trust me on that, don’t you? Cake is always a must have at the celebration. The last part that relate to each other is the ending where the song may seem to slow down but our heart beat gets faster due to distress, or the coda. The coda in life is death and people do get sad when a loved one dies just like when the number one hit song on the charts starts to end.

‘Fast, slow, faster, slower,’ those are sometimes the tempo changes in a song. Obviously, there are many different combinations for beat changes but that is a simple one I just came up with. I think that alters of the tempo are like the struggles, challenges, and successes we go through in life. When the song is on the slower parts, it is like the tough times in life. It seems like the world seems to slow down. Sometimes the world seems to even stop. It feels like when we were first learning how to ride a bike. When we fell down and scraped our knee, for the seconds before our moms and dads came running to us, it felt as if we were the only person left in the world, all alone. The world slowly faded away until it was only ourselves left in the world. The successes we go through are the quicker parts in songs. When I succeed in life, I feel like I am the highest person in the world. I have this sense of joy rush through my body. In my head, I keep hearing, “I have accomplished something, I HAVE accomplish something.” All I want to do is jump up and down, like when I hear a song’s beat getting faster and faster.

Next time you are belting a show tune in the shower or living your life, maybe, just maybe you’ll think about the other in comparison. Some things can be very similar and life and song just happen to be one of them. I really do believe that songs are like life. You may disagree, you may think I’m wrong, but I believe Life is Like a Song.