I Believe in Laughing

Mali - Las Vegas, Nevada

I Believe in Laughing

Laughter is defined as the making of sounds instinctively that expresses amusement or merriment. I try to laugh my heart out at least once a day. Laughter is the best medicine. It is much like a massage because it feels good and helps relieve all the aches, pains, and tensions of the body. There is also an added bonus to that- laughing helps mentally as well as emotionally. Overall quality of life improves because positive feelings are created while laughing. I laugh daily by sharing jokes, having fun, watching funny videos on Youtube, or reading satirical cartoons.

A funny thing about laughter is that it is helps me remember things. If facts are funny or a joke is made about something, I will remember it better than if it was just something boring. That is probably why people use a silly mnemonic devices to remember a list. Funny memories are usually recollected faster. Laughing creates bonding and lifetime memories between people – especially when inside jokes are created.

Different people from different countries around the world are not all able to communicate because of language variations. I went to Israel over the past summer. Most people there know just enough English to get by, but their accents are terrible. My Hebrew was just as good as their English and very limited at that. Doing things like shopping and taking a taxi proved to be tougher than usual. Communicating was hard but when either of us laughed, everything was okay. Laughing eased the awkwardness while I went through my dictionary looking for the right word or phrase to say.

When I used to work at a gift shop on the strip, I worked with mostly Hispanics whom spoke little to no English. Just like my experience in Israel, it was difficult to communicate. It was hard to work in an environment in which communicating small things is hard. I took Spanish classes in school and spoke it pretty well. It made work easier, and I developed good relationships with some of the people because I would teach them English.

Laughing can brighten up a day and make life a lot more bearable to live. Laughter is good for good health, acts as an aid in remembering, and is a universal expression in which everyone understands.