Blood is not the only thing that makes you family.

ashley - bronx, New York

I have a friend named Jessica who I have known for almost all my life. She is a strong black woman. We do just about everything together, like go to Red Lobster, or go to the mall. We also do a lot for each other. If I need her to be there a particular moment, she’s there. The same for her if she needs me do something. I’m there for example, if she needs me to pick up he daughter from the babysitter I would leave work and pick her up.

I not only I consider her family, I consider her daughter like she’s mine, because when she was first born I baby sat for her until she was about 2 yrs old. Until this day I go and pick her up and buy her food when she is hungry; take her to the park when there isn’t anything to do.

There was a time when I was in my old high school, and the dean had called my grandmother to come in because, I was doing so badly. He said that if she didn’t come in that it would jeopardize my education and he would have to remove me out of the school. See what the problem was, was that my grandmother had said that she was tired of coming back and fourth to that school and that she was not going back. I called Jessica to come in. and she came in and made an appointment with the dean and me.

I look at her as a role model. I say that because, she taught me a lot of thing I know now, like how to cook and dance. I look up to her. She has her associate’s degree and now she is going for her bachelor’s. She works full time and she has a daughter that she takes care of her own. Personally I think that not a lot people can manage to do that. I think that if they would try they would end up being stressed out and then eventually give up. Jessica is a strong woman. She does a lot for her and her daughter. She also does whatever she needs to do maintain the quality of her and her child and that’s what I like about her.

I believe that blood is not the only thing that makes you family. Friendship and supporting each other can make two people family also. Jessica is not really blood family, and she does things for me that a family member wouldn’t do. Sometimes it’s better to call friends family rather than your blood, because they will be there for whenever you need them.