I believe in education

Bianka - Bronx, New York

My mom woke me up every morning at 7a.m. She had pancakes on the table with a glass of orange juice on the side, and my clothes neatly ironed and lay out on the couch. All that was left for me to do was brush my teeth, make my bed, shower and then head to school. At least that’s what I told my mom. Instead I went up the block to my friend’s house every day. When I arrived, we either went back to sleep or watched the Maury show or the Jerry Springer show. It was after a semester of school, receiving nothing but failing grades, when I realized that wasn’t the right way to go.

I had an epiphany that I believe in education. The highest paid jobs in careers I am interested in, like in criminal justice and the FBI agency, are offered to a person that is educated. I want the best things out of life. I never want my children to want for anything. I want to be able to provide them with the best, to live in a beautiful area with a hot car and my bank account bigger than ever. Without a well paid job, I will not be able to succeed.

Growing up, I remember my parents telling me I had a job, and that job consists of going to school and making something out of my life. They were strict, for example a call home or failing a test would mean two weeks of punishment with no electronics. Man did I hate those days. But as I got older my parents began to talk more than punish. I remember my mother telling me I was not going to be a child forever, and it was time I act like a young adult. So from that day on she treated me like one .Which meant no more punishments. I had to figure out my own mistakes.

One morning I woke up and was contemplating about my future. I realized I was wasting a lot of time, and that this was not the life I wanted to live. Immediately I changed schools so I could have a new start, and ever since then I have been getting nothing but good grades. I am so proud of myself. I came from failing to passing .This is my last year of high school, but it’s not over yet. There is still more to come.

Now when I wake up in the morning, I still get breakfast sometimes. My clothes are not waiting for me on the couch. I iron them myself. The difference is that now when I leave my house, I head straight to school.