I believe in the Power of Music

Andre - rock hill, South Carolina

I believe in the power of music.

Since the very beginning of existence, mankind has always been interconnected with music. From the harps of the great civilizations of Egypt and Persia to the rhythmic beats of hip hop in the streets, music has always been a part of society. Every generation can be identified by the music of its time bringing with it unique melodies and styles.

We hear it everyday around us. We can hear it in the movies, in cars, in elevators, on telephones, at sporting events, and so many more places.

Music connects people together, whether it’s bringing thousands of people to a rock and roll concert or creating a passionate dance between a couple. The gospel music of the church unites worshipers of the deep south every Sunday.

Music has the power to connect a time and place with only one song. For example whenever I hear the song “Only the Good Die Young” by Billy Joel, it puts me back four years ago under a clear, cold night with a racquet in my hand hitting against a wall.

Music fires up the soul of a person. It sort of recharges the mind so to speak. Before a big game, a player is found listening to Eminem’s “Lose Yourself,” repeating the lyrics: “You only get one shot, do not miss your chance…this opportunity comes once in a lifetime.”

Music reveals the emotions from inside a person. It spreads goose bumps all over one’s body. It creates sensations inside one’s soul. It can make one feel happy and ecstatic or lonely and depressed. It forces one to get up on his or her feet and expresses the music through the motion of one’s body. The beautifully sung “Star Spangled Banner,” puts all of us on our feet reminding us all what a great blessing it is to live in the United States of America.

Music heals the wounds inflicted by life. The hands rhythmically caressing the ivory keys causes even the worries of life to take a rest. On a long, hard day I find that music relaxes the mind and all of life’s troubles melt away.

For the artists, music is their source for expressing what is in them. They use their lyrics to relate to everyone. Themes of love, devotion, friendship, determination, human achievement are just some of the ways that these artists convey their message through song. They instill a range of human emotions with their listeners. They also use their power through music to change the world around them. Artists like Bono, and athletes like Andre Agassi use music to highlight the struggles of certain groups. Agassi’s “Grand Slam for Children” concert raises millions of dollars to support his charter school of underprivileged children in Las Vegas each year.

There are no class divisions and you don’t need to have a lot of money or have a high IQ for music knows nothing of whose heart it seeps into.

For this I believe that music has an unlimited potential of powers.