Racism Will Never Die

Brian - Rock Hill, South Carolina

This I Believe…………Racism Will Never Die

Racism is alive and strong as it was today. Even though we have been through slavery, Jim Crow laws, and segregation there still is evidence of racism today. Society in America has ended all laws and rules that involve racial discrimination, but either way it is still present. We see this in society from both African Americans and Caucasian people. It might difficult to understand why and how African Americans discriminate against Caucasian people, but it is obvious to see how Caucasian people discriminate against African Americans. Either way, in life you will display some form of racism no matter how small or big or little it may be. Racism even comes from the separation that we see amongst ourselves. Why is it that when we separate ourselves among each other, we separate by race? Here again we see racism in a non lethal manner where individuals construct a way where individuals separate themselves from people of a different race other then themselves. So whether or not it can be inferred, racism is alive and functioning well.

Blacks discriminate against whites because of their actions from the past. Many say why single me out from what has happened in the past even though we have solved our issues? The only reason for the discrimination against whites is because of what history has taught us. There is no gareentee that my current status in life will be the same. There is an old saying, “ You can’t keep teach an old dog new tricks.” This statement stands accurate to black people as they remember the hard times that they have been through in order to stay on their defense in the present now so they cannot fall into the same problem twice. After finally working hard to make it out of discrimination, blacks sort of say stay on their defense in order to avoid a repeat in history. There are still issues involving racial problems including situations like the Jeana Six but African Americans respond in a powerful way to show that we will not go back into our past to make it seem that our race is inferior. As a member of the black race there are things we can do as individuals to show that we are progressing forward to become strong and dominant society in life.

Whites also discriminate against African Americans as well to this day. A major reason I see whites discriminate against blacks is because of hip-hop culture. When hip-hop became popular it changed the style, talk, and walk with black people. Majority of white people see hip-hop as a culture of ignorance and stupidity. All of these beliefs come from seeing black hip-hop artist and others portray themselves in society today. White’s main focus of discrimination will and forever be to not associate with those who are not like them in any way shape or form. so even though the laws and regulation say racism has ended, it is still there and being practiced by both whites and blacks against each other. Will the future prove different as we go away from racism? The answer will be no because no matter what, history has taught us the actions of others and what they are capable of doing. As the old saying goes, “An elephant never forgets.” In this case I shall never forget the many years of slavery and segregation that we fought to end and we still are fighting to end so that society and the lively hood of others will change so that we may progress in life as individuals who don’t see skin as an issue.