It Affects Everyone…

Amy - west jordan, Utah
Themes: setbacks

It Affects Everyone…

By Amy B

You don’t realize how badly eating disorders affect someone until you experience it firsthand. I myself have had firsthand experience with it, although my case was not as severe as others I have known.

In the beginning of ninth grade, I got the idea into my mind that I couldn’t exceed 90 pounds. So I kept true to that, going from 87 pounds, 82, and finally reaching 79 pounds. I realized I had a problem, but I didn’t think it was anything bad; I was just naturally skinny.

But as I was talking with a girl that had been a friend of mine, she told me she was worried. My cheeks had sunken in, I never ate meals, and my chest was showing the creases of my bone structure. As she talked to me though, I got annoyed with her. What did she know? I didn’t have a problem; I just didn’t like to eat.

A month later as I was with her again, she had her sister talk to me. I was sitting in the car with her sister, waiting for my friend to come out to the car. As we were sitting there, she started complaining that her ovaries killed. Once she said this, she looked over at me and said “Amy, what’s this I hear about you not eating?”

She launched into this life story of how she went to e able to have kids because she starved those organs. As she talked to me, I knew she knew what I was going through. I knew for certain I had a problem, and I needed to change for the benefit of everyone, not just me.

So I began my hard recovery. I told my close friends about my addiction (yes it is an addiction!), and they were all willing to help. At lunch they would force me to eat. Every time I was at one of their houses, I was forced to eat two of everything.

Fortunately, I am better now. I was able to get over that time period and, with the help of my friends, learn how to help others. I have been able to help a really close friend with bulimia, and just showing her that this isn’t the way to solve your problems.

As you continue to live your life, and only care about everything in your own bubble, remember that your actions and words can be hurting others. Understand that these people do not appreciate talking about it, and don’t want you to get involved with their lives.

Having a firm belief that they can overcome this is not enough. You need to get involved with their lives, and talk to their parents. Let them know what’s going on. Your friend will most likely really dislike you for turning them in, but after awhile they will realize that you saved their life. They will end up respecting you. Don’t promise to keep it a secret, because you can’t help them out alone.

Changing someone’s life for the better will also truly benefit yours. Just knowing you helped someone close overcome something that would have forever effected their life, and eventually would kill them if you hadn’t stepped in is a feeling that you cannot easily forget. Don’t abandon hope, and always stay by their side. This disorder is not permanent. They are still people and have emotions and love for others.