Light and Dark

Anna - Los Altos, California
Themes: setbacks

Opposites. Sun and moon. Light and dark. Without one, the other would cease to exist. The sun shines on the moon, making it visible when it otherwise would have been hidden. And while the sun’s light warms our faces, it creates a shadow of darkness in our wake. Wherever we go, whichever corner we turn, we will always be fronted by the light and followed by the dark.

It’s a constant cycle, East followed by West, light trailed by dark. As England hurtles into darkness, California is still blessed with light. And so when Alice wakes to the first rays of the sun, I’m still dreaming under the night sky. That’s how it’s always been, how it always will be; Alice throwing all cares to the wind and blazing ahead while I hold back, take a minute to think, and then plunge in headfirst after her.

I was just a mere five when I discovered my other half and a mere seven when I lost her to her home country. It usually takes someone years to find the light to their dark, but me, I won over my sun with a twinkling smile and an invitation to draw aliens. Before too long, it became clear that my British counterpart, however, wasn’t too fond of the arts, so we threw down our crayons in search of something more satisfying and mischievous for Alice has always had an affinity for tricks.

We did it all, from ding dong ditch to prank calling. And it was always her prowling through the bushes up to the door, with me, her shadow, hesitantly tagging along, constantly worrying about being caught and the consequences that would follow. But when her finger touched the bell, adrenaline forced all thoughts from my mind and we would dash to the nearest hiding spot to watch our confused neighbor open the door to find no one there. In fits of laughter, she would skip off to find our next victim while I, still suffering mild shock from what I had considered to be a close call, took a moment to gather my wits before I set off after her.

And so our differences become more apparent as the years go by. Alice wishes to travel the dark corners of the world, lighting them up for everyone to see, while I would prefer to continue on the safely shadowed path towards college and a career. Wherever we go, our minds will be linked, and so no matter what she does she will hear my nagging logic whispering in her ear, and no matter how I try I will never rid myself of her energetic encouragement goading me out of my shell. So even on opposite sides of the globe, she will always be my light, and like the faithful shadow that I am, I will forever follow her into the dark.