Struggling to Write

Alesha - Beaverton, Oregon

I was given a paper that told me to splatter my most inner thoughts in 500 words; I knew this would be difficult. Being an aspiring writer, I am use to creating stories about others however have very little or no experience in telling my own story. Yet here it was a form and a teacher asking me to write what I believe and who I am and to sum it up in 3 minutes.

So where do I begin? I could run down a list of people who have maybe inspired me or talk about a religion I know nothing about. This was when I realized my life isn’t made up of one or two things but instead built off of a million things that have all led up to an amazing journey. This journey is simply life. Although this isn’t a story of desperation or humiliation, it is a struggle in itself to write down one belief and to sum up an entire journey through my path of life. I could’ve wrote about a hope for world peace or a cry to clean up the environment, however this essay is the challenge I wish to face first. By identifying myself through this piece, I am accepting who I am and what I believe. Although this might not be the easiest task, I think world peace starts with inner peace. How can I learn to change this world if I haven’t even learned about the person I am and will become?

Even if it takes writing it in 500 words to pin point this belief or self knowledge, in the end it’s worth it. Although the struggle of writing this has made my thoughts scramble at times, through this small barrier I have enlightened something about my most difficult character in any of my stories, myself. In a few weeks I have been challenged to dig deep in my mind and to talk solemnly about myself. But by putting pen to paper and just writing has given me an uplifting and hope to seek out this journey which in my case is life. This includes having to struggle to write exactly who I am and to do it on such a small canvas. Again, belief and life isn’t based on one specific thing such as an almighty figure but instead smaller forms of good and bad and yes, struggle. Whether that struggle is world peace or simply writing who you are and getting it out both can lead to a sense of inner peace or enlightenment. Writing who I am can be the most difficult struggle at this point yet it’s necessary in order to indentify myself. Through identification of myself, I am on the path to inner peace.