The Wrong Direction?

Sean - Hillsboro, Oregon
Themes: change, family

The Wrong Direction?

Life is full of surprises, both negative and positive. But the way I see it, negatives can have a positive side as well. In life, we are given many obstacles that may lead us to what we believe to be the wrong direction, when in reality; they lead us to what we really want. We should never look back on past events with remorse, but instead use it to find out what is truly important. I speak from experience, as I have experienced life changing events that I once thought to be negative, but turned out for the best.

In February of 2005, my parents decided to move from our four season’s hometown of Hillsboro, Oregon, to the unbearable heat of Phoenix, Arizona. They believed that this move would be a positive, enriching experience for the entire family. The first few weeks were great. Seventy degrees in February was so unfamiliar to me. It felt like a big vacation. But once we settled into our new home and I had started school, it was clear that this was no vacation. Friends were hard to come by at my new school, and emotions were running high at home. I blamed my parents for this horrible move.

In October of 2005, I received news from my parents that we would be moving back to Hillsboro. I was hesitant at first, but was soon overcome with joy. When we arrived back in Hillsboro and everything was seemingly back to normal, I couldn’t help but think that moving to Arizona was the worst thing that had ever happened to me. Not having friends for eight months is a terrible thing for anyone to go through. I wouldn’t wish that upon my worst enemy. So going back to my old high school would be the chance for me to really open up and be a more confident person. I made that leap and everything turned out for the best. New relationships were established, and old friendships were rekindled.

Whenever I look back on the “terrible move”, I can’t help but think that it was the hurdle I needed to help find what was, and still remains important to me. We all look back on the past with regret, but we should always find the positive in every situation. Don’t fail to see the bigger picture. We may not know why certain things happen, but we all find out eventually.