Such Is Life

Callaghan - Hillsboro, Oregon
Themes: setbacks

As a child, I was always told that I needed to plan for the future, that things change and that you shouldn’t make fun of people that look unusual. They said that these were good things to live by. I didn’t believe them. I didn’t think that there were going to be any major changes in my life. I didn’t believe that planning for the future was necessary either. I mean, really, how can you? And of course, I would never go and openly make fun of a person that looked weird, but that didn’t mean that I wouldn’t laugh along and join in with my friends when they did it. Little did I know that everything that I believed in would soon take a dramatic change.

I just turned 12 and my world had changed for the worst. It started with having muscle spasms in my right leg and stomach. The doctors thought I had Sydenhams Chorea. Then, after I had my first MRI, I found that I had a brain tumor. I had been missed diagnosed for 6 months! Feelings of fear, anger and bewilderment flowed through me as one emotion. At the time, I wasn’t exactly sure what having a brain tumor meant, but I knew it was bad. I went through many emotions and situations that most people can’t imagine. I always felt tired and sick. I lost my hair, twice. Every choice I made effect my next day. I became that person that people made fun of. I felt as if I was on a sickening rollercoaster from hell, and I wanted off. Everything that I once believed had turned on me. I was exposed to a whole new world of medicine, disease and hospitals that I didn’t even know existed. I was distraught.

Looking back on how people told me to live wasn’t that ridiculous. Most of what they tried to teach me was true. It is a good idea to plan ahead at times. Life will change and will never stop changing. And it’s not nice to poke fun at other people just because they look different. You never know what that person is going through, or went through to look or act the way they do today. Another lesson I learned though my year of anguish was that you can’t expect life to go the way you want it to, because it won’t.

My life experiences have not only helped me grow as a person, but also have helped me to choose some ways to live by. One is that you need to take life a day at a time, knowing that even on your darkest days, there will always be that silver lining. Another is to treat others the way you want to be treated. In the end, everything that I’ve learned and try to live by comes down to one thing: life can change in an instant, so always plan for the unexpected and never stop progressing forward in life.