The Bad is Good

Jacbo - Beaverton, Oregon
Themes: good & evil

Stealing, cheating, assault, war; isn’t life good? The world has some evil, terrible things going on in it. People who maliciously rape, people who kill millions who oppose their views on life, these are the people who keep us on the right path. The bad things in life do some good. I’m not trying to say that death or rape is a good thing, just that it happens, and there is some good in it, just as there is in everything.

My brother is a “problem child”. He’s always stealing, doing drugs, and getting into quarrels with me and my parents. Sure I get very angry whenever he slyly enters my room, leaving with a little treasure he’s found, usually money. Then I look back on it and realize that it is because of his behavior that I will never steal from anyone. That I won’t abuse drugs, and try to avoid getting into meaningless fights. One person does something terrible, and everyone who witnesses this, or knows the person is forever changed. They see the pain that person has been through and now won’t inflict that pain on any other person.

Even war has it’s good outcomes. When Hitler was slaughtering Jews we stepped in and stopped him. Much could have been helped only if we’d of stepped in sooner. Now whenever there is a hint of something like this going on, our the slightest chance it will occur, we go and try to take care of it before it has a chance to grow into something more terrible than it already has become. We as people learn from others mistakes as well as our own. This means that in all the bad that happens, someone learned from the tragedy and has grown into a better person.

War, stealing, vandalism, all are terrible things that I wish would stop, but they are a necessary evil for they help shape the good people in our world. So remember the next time your son some money from your wallet, that what he’s really doing is ensuring that your other two kids won’t steal from people, and then after a good yellin or whoopin, look at him and say, “thank you son, thank you.”