The Crime of Not Trying

Timothy - Hillsboro, Oregon

I believe it is a crime to not give everything in life one-hundred percent of my potential. Life is a test of self-control. Life is a test of balance. Life is a test of finding happiness. And most primarily, life of course is a test of survival. Very few people consider survival to be a goal in life. Due to our complex society designed to help those in struggle, living has been the least of our worries. Instead, the human mind’s psychological impulses urge us to live right. We search for self fulfillment and help those who are also searching.

So I ask myself the question of what I should do to find my own personal nirvana, and I suddenly feel lost. As a high school senior planning on attending college for a business degree, I am at an utter loss of ideas as to what I hope to gain at the end of all of this other than a higher paying white collar job.

I didn’t find myself at all saddened by this realization, however. In fact, I took the time to reflect my values and how I’ve reached this point in my life, and came to realize that I was happy enough just with what I have accomplished this far in my life. I then began to understand that if I lived life to its fullest, taking advantage of its opportunities, I could never regret not trying for something.

I soon came to realize that the reason I had not been disappointed in myself in not living my life to anyone’s standards but my own, was because I was satisfied with my accomplishments over the prior eighteen years of my existence. I’m not even out of high school and I’ve had two steady jobs, sacrificed literally hundreds of volunteer hours to my community, gotten accepted to a college and applied for multiple scholarships to earn money for it, and still managed to achieve an above-average three point six-eight grade point average through high school, which is a lot more than most of my friends can say about their accomplishments at this point.

I am not a religious person or spiritual by any means which can make it hard to discover a philosophy of life when it is not all thought out for you. I have nothing against religion though, but I believe it is not necessary for me to have one to believe in myself, and I believe I that I can be happy if I can be proud of my accomplishments and never have to live with the burden of knowing that I never tried my best to succeed.