Responsible

Andrew - Jamestown, North Carolina

I believe in changing the minimum drinking age to eighteen.

To this day, United States is only country in the world where the drinking age is over the age of eighteen. In Canada, our neighbors, the drinking age is nineteen. In countries like England and Ireland, the drinking age is considered to be five years old. There is no legitimate reason for the United States to have the drinking age as high as twenty-one years old. It is even said that if people start drinking earlier that they will learn the responsibilities that come with drinking. I know how the drinking age in Ireland is none is a little excessively young. But, you will find that even though their drinking age is so young, they have lower deaths related to alcohol. I believe that we should change the drinking age because if the country gives us the responsibility to go to war, then we should be given the responsibility of being able to drink freely. Even at eighteen we are given the title of “adults”, but we aren’t given the responsibility of drinking, like adults. Eighteen year olds have just as many responsibilities as twenty-one year olds do. Eighteen year olds have the responsibility to vote, serve in a jury, join a war, go to an adult prison, and also purchase weapons. Honestly, which do you think is more life threatening and worse for an eighteen year old to have, a gun or a beer? Eighteen year olds are allowed to walk around town and carry a gun but we are not allowed to go to bar and have a couple of drinks.

Every time I go to a party where there is no one harming anyone and everyone is just having a good time, it gets busted. I was just recently at a party where it was very close to my college campus. This meant that not many people drove considering that they could very easily walk back home. Still, later in that night, an estimated ten cops showed up to break up this party. This is outrageous considering that there are much greater crimes going on most likely at the same time, not at this party. There are people getting shot and murdered, and ten cops show up to break up a party where nobody was getting harmed. These cops should be doing what they were meant to do, which is not to completely stop the teen world from drinking, especially when they are not doing any harm to anyone.

When it comes to underage drinking, this country is extremely naive. I guarantee you that a majority of teens in the United States have tried alcohol at least once before the turn twenty one. Also, if these teens were allowed to drink at eighteen, I believe that these kids will become more responsible while drinking. These kids will not drink and drive and also they will not drink excessive amounts just because they want to feel rebellious. I think that if I were able to go to a bar and have a couple of beers, I would most likely not get completely drunk and I would be able to find a ride home. That is why I believe that there are fewer deaths in other countries where the drinking age is eighteen or lower, there are fewer deaths related to drinking and driving.

Also, who decides that twenty-one is the mature age to consume alcohol? I am sure that there are many eighteen year olds out there that are more mature than the average twenty-one year old. With this considered, the drinking age should be changed to eighteen.