Basketball Stands

Jasmine - Hillsboro, Oregon

Exciting, scared, nervous; these were all the emotions going through my body as I entered the gym doors where my first basketball game was to be held. It was just as I had pictured it’s the bouncing of the basketball, the noise from the crowd, and the packed stands from every end of the gym. There were friends and parents there for the girls that were about to play in their first basketball game as well. Like any other ten year old excited and anxious for their family to watch them play, I looked around to find where my mom was sitting so that I could give her a little wave or smile before I go out on the court. She was no where to be found. I thought to myself maybe they’re just late and they were coming soon. As time went by and it became half time I looked once again to see if she had made it but she still hadn’t showed up. Third quarter flew by, then fourth, and when the game was over I knew for sure they weren’t coming, at least not to watch me play. From that game forth I was used to not having anyone there to cheer me on during basketball games or there to see how well I was doing in school, not even there to see all the accomplishments I had achieved.

As I got older and wiser I learned that you need support to keep you going and that’s why I believe in support. You need to have that feeling of your family’s support when you need them the most or even when you don’t need them. I believe that support and love from the ones that care about you is greater than any other feeling you could experience. Support to me is not only being there to cheer you on for a game, but being there when no one else will or even when you have a silly idea that might not be the best but you want to know that someone else thinks it’s just as good as you do. Support is also showing that person that you love them by simply telling them you do.

I believe that no one should ever have to experience not having the support and love that they need to keep them going in life. It’s always good to feel that sense of encouragement to push you further than you’ve ever gone before.