My View of Life

Ryan - Hillsboro, Oregon

Happiness is an odd word. What really makes people happy? Could it be wealth, family, possessions? One might say having someone to love, everyone is different and what makes people happy is the most important. This starts me off on my philosophy of life. Self-fulfillment, yes that’s what I believe. To me there is no point to anything you accomplish in your lifetime. Whether becoming the richest man or woman alive, or being a job-less wanderer whatever shall make you the happiest is the most important.

Because I have no belief in a higher being whatsoever what you do from birth to when you are six feet under or in a urn doesn’t matter, in the big scheme of what we call life. As long as it’s not hurting other people I believe as long as you feel fulfilled with what you have accomplished or goals you set it is good.

Now while my dad is not a religious person my mother is. She used to drag me to church every Sunday until I was the age of thirteen. My memory of going there consists of seeing aged men who smell like old coffee and bad cologne, with their wives who have fake smiles and best church attire on. With young children running throughout the building going to their Sunday school lesson. While most people feel saved or better people while attending, I did not. I felt a sense of deceit while attending. One such as I was not receiving the whole story of our world. Just one from a conservative Christian “Jesus is our savior” point of view. Then after learning about other points of view I further shaped my view on the world today. Now I’m not attempting to preach a sermon, just stating how I turned into the person I am today.

A lot of people will most likely believe this is a messed up way of thinking. There being no point to life at all. Some might say it is depressing. The fact of the matter is when I really think about it, it all makes sense. No matter what you do in your life when it comes to the day you’re on your death bed, nothing matters as long as you feel that self-fulfillment.

That feeling that you have accomplished all you could have possibly done in your life. That I have no regrets, I feel I have lived an amazing life feeling. We are all just a speck in the grand scheme of life. So all in all I just hope when that day comes, that my days are numbered I feel that I have lived a good life and am satisfied.