Appreciating Life

Stephanie - Hillsboro, Oregon
Themes: setbacks

I believe that life is a beautiful creation by God, and that life is very short, and just as we are given life, it can be taken away when you least expect it. Which is why I have realized so many wonderful things about life. I have also learned to appreciate things in life I did not appreciate before. I see life from a different perspective. I enjoy life even when I am going through a difficult time.

The reason I have realized the importance of life is because, a couple of years ago, my family and I went through the most difficult time of our lives. My father almost passed away. This was a critical time for me and my family. For me this was the worst time of my life, it was a moment of sadness, tension, and frustration.

My father has been a big guy most of his life, but ever since he got married my mom, and even as a young child, he was use to eating greasy food, and never really watched how he ate. He always enjoys going to fast food places, and just not eating healthy. None of this had affected him until about two or three years ago, when he went to the doctors for a normal check up. He hardly ever goes to the doctors, but this time he was found with extreme high cholesterol. He was sent to the emergency room until his cholesterol lowered, and was then sent home.

Even though he seemed fine at home, I knew deep down that he wasn’t. As time went by, he kept getting constant headaches, so bad that there was no medicine to help his pain. He couldn’t stand any kind of noise; he didn’t want any arguing amongst my younger sister and me. My mother and I decided that he had to go back to the emergency room.

Hours of frustration went by, for me and the rest of my family members. Knowing what was not going on, tears, yelling, and impatience went by until, we were allowed to go into the room and see how my dad was doing. I knew that my dad wasn’t okay. He had this look in his eyes I will never forget. The sweetest look a father can give his daughter, his look was a look full of pain. I had never seen my father this way before, or I never thought I would either.

No one will ever know how I felt seeing my father like this. My father would talk to me in such a way, that was painful to me. He would tell me “ You are the oldest one, you have to finish school, and be someone big in life” “ You have to help out your mom, don’t give her a hard time , and be good”. When my father told me this, tears rushed down my eyes. I was speechless. The one thing I did ask him was,

“Why are you speaking to me like this dad?” He just responded “I don’t feel good and you never know what could happen.”

Doctors could not find out why his head was in so much pain, so he was transferred to a bigger hospital (UCLA), where they would have better technology and some of the best doctors. Those doctors found out his problem was, it seemed to be that a vein from his brain was leaking blood, and he was about to have a blood leakage through out his brain. He was taken in to surgery immediately.

He was kept in the hospital for a couple of days, so he could be checked, and to make sure he was going to be okay. After a week or so in the hospital, he was sent home, and was resting, and thank God until this day he is doing great.

This experience in my life was the most difficult one. This experience also taught me that life is a beautiful gift, that does not last very long. Now I enjoy every minute of my life, and appreciate every second that I am with my friends and especially my family. I have realized that life is too beautiful, precious, and short to be wasting it on being sad or angry. That’s why now I try to live my life to the fullest.