The Power of Music

Justine - Hillsboro, Oregon

Bob Marley once said, “one good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.” I believe in the power of music. I started singing at a young age, and once I got started, no one could stop me. I joined choir in middle school, and naturally it became my favorite class. When I’m singing, I feel like anything is possible. In my mind, I’m on stage singing to a sold out audience, when in reality, I’m in my bedroom singing along to the radio.

The thing I like most about music is theirs a song for just about anything; weddings, breakups, holidays, even as Lisa Kudrow sings on the TV show Friends, smelly cats. Music can express just about any feeling. Music has the ability to make you feel empowered, passionate, sad and optimistic. Sometimes, the simplest songs are the ones that put the biggest smile on people’s faces. Music also has the power to influence people. I find that I am most influenced by optimistic songs, such as Garth Brooks’ “We Shall Be Free.” Most of the time, I consider myself to be fairly pessimistic, but when Garth starts to sing about a world with no judgments, I instantly transform into a person who believes “perfection” is well within reach.

In some ways, music is like a history lesson. Similar to other aspects of history, contemporary artists learn from, and revolutionize older music. Sometimes the end result is better, sometimes it’s not, but generally, whether it’s a musician learning from their failure, or a new hit single, something good is accomplished. Music has the capability to tell a story. Listening to music can enable you to gain knowledge, just like you would from reading a book.

I believe, not only in the power of music, but also in the importance of music. Without it, what would fill the silence in movies? What would the millions of people who study music in one form or another do with their time instead? Music is an important aspect of society, because it is a good venue for expressing opinions, emotions, thoughts, and ideas.