Lacrosse is Life

Gavin - Portland, Oregon
Themes: sports

Life is like lacrosse, especially when lacrosse is your life. I believe life is like playing lacrosse. Every pass, every score, every hit is either an uphill or downhill journey in the scheme of our lives. Friends, like team mates, help improve the successfulness of your life.

Just like in Lacrosse, there are things that are built to protect you. The helmet a thick plastic and metal that was made to cover and protect your life, your brain. I relate this to my parents. My parents are always there to protect me but they can only go so far. The rest I am on my own to protect. Shoulder pads, a thick padding bound with stitches, there to deflect the hits of the crosse. Not unlike my friends, they are there to help you through life and deflect the pain you might feel some times. Gloves, thick but flexible at the same time, there to protect what you do.

You play with the hand you are dealt with. Meaning life is 20 percent what happens to you and 80 percent is how you deal with it. As pertaining to lacrosse this is the team and coach you are given. But it is also your stick. It is the most important part of your lacrosse equipment, as a player it is your baby, it is the most prized possession during the season. It is said that if you treat it well it will do the same to you. But not everyone is dealt with the same stick, like in life, so you have to make the best of what you get and work hard to make it fit you.

During the game your goal is to win. But like in life that doesn’t always mean the easy road. It takes strength and determination to overcome the challenges of the opposing team. But you have to help the team and not be selfish and go all for yourself. Most of the most successful people didn’t get there by being an individual. They got there by working on a team, working with other people.

Like life and lacrosse, you have to role with the punches. Take what you have been given and make the best of it. Life is like lacrosse, especially when lacrosse is like your life.