What I Believe In

Bryan - Oakland, California

What I Believe In

I believe in fresh fruit, not the frozen kind you buy in the freezer section, but straight from nature’s garden. It is the kind of fruit that parts from your mouth with an aroma of delectable sweetness. Not the overpowering taste of dissatisfying fruit syrup in smoothies and soft drinks, the real thing. Each fruit possesses its own flavor, but all share something in common, containing something fresh and new with every bite.

When I was 10 years old, I, like many other kids my age, was very addicted to sweet candies. None in particular, just anything that had a load of sugar to offer. The addiction was pretty bad; it grew from one candy bar a day, to nearly three or four a day. It was like I thought it was a competition of how many skittles I could eat in one sitting. Skittles, like any other candy is packaged to be pretty and attractive, but on the inside all that lays there are artificially colored balls of despair. This problem was getting quite out of control; it was like a drug addiction. I tried to stop my urge for sweets but there was absolutely nothing I could do to keep my hands off the Starbursts, Milky ways, and Crunch bars.

The time for retribution came; my annual dentist appointment was coming up in a couple of weeks. The day was grim; it yielded little sign of being sunny to say the least. I arrived at the dentist office, the sweat poured down my face, inching toward my motionless mouth. I gulped as I was called to enter the room, “Bryan,” a woman in a sleek white outfit said. I drew close to the room, cautious of entering the room, I had no idea what was in store for me. There was a drilling noise, a scream or two, and a mouth swish-swashing, and it was done. At the end, the conclusion was that I had been eating too many sweets and had caused a huge cavity to form in one of my molars.

The candy had ruined my entire view of what I ate. I not only introduced myself into more pain, but I ate out of the bowl of addiction. It was as if the sugar from the candy not only rotted my teeth, but destroyed my morals for sensible and smart thinking. This is when I sat down, and thought to myself, how much better life would be if I just tried eating something new, in other words, venture into unfamiliar territory, experiment with the unknown. That is when it happened, it was all about changing, a fresh change for a fresh new idea. Ultimately, the downfall of the candy brought to me the realization of other opportunities. Candy had opened my eyes to the endless possibilities that ran in and out of my every day life. It was more of just breaking a bad habit; it further propelled me toward thinking less artificial and more down to earth in general.

I believe that freshness reflects upon the renewal of ideas and the initiation of a new way. I made a fresh choice when I decided to find alternatives to my snacks. This period of time has further helped me along my path to success, consequently whenever I come to an end, it is never over; there is always an alternative route to take. A fresh start can never be bad; it can only lead to another route toward overall success. Most importantly, the incident has lead me to believe that everything fresh in all aspects of life can only lead to new explorations, there are no bad consequences for starting over. Unlike artificially enhanced sweets, fruit contains honest nutrients that help and nourish the body, giving way to more acceptable morals. I did, and as a result it has changed a lot about me as a decision-maker.