I believe America does not stand for torture

Anuj - Austin, Texas

This I believe

I believe it is wrong to torture another human being – no matter what the intended gains might be.

While there isn’t a specific commandment that says ‘Thou shalt not torture’ – I believe it is implicit in Christianity’s golden rule – ‘Do unto others as you would have them do unto you’.

I believe it is un-Christian to torture or to condone torture of another human being.

I was stunned to read about President Bush’s veto of Congress’s bill to stop torture.

The President is openly pushing for torture of suspects (who have not been tried in a court of law) – because he believes it makes America safer.

I believe torture does not make America safer. Every expert on torture has re-affirmed that torture yields – at best, unreliable information, since the subject would say anything to stop being tortured.

Even if torture DID make America safer – I believe I would not want my safety at such a cost.

By now, every self-respecting American has hung his head in shame over Bush’s veto of the torture bill.

Whichever way we look at it – this decision is bound to backfire. Whether it is in the form of an insurgent who will fight to the death – knowing that torture awaits him should he be captured – or whether it is in the form of captured U.S. soldiers certain to be tortured by our enemies.

I may not know a lot about politics or ways of the world – but I know this – it is fundamentally against everything that is decent and human – to torture another human being. Even if we were to capture Osama Bin Laden tomorrow – we should not torture him – inspite of everything he has inflicted upon us. Otherwise – what would separate us from him?