“I Believe in Eating Dinner with My Family”

David - Eagle, Idaho

I believe in eating dinner with my family.

This belief, which I always abide by, was passed on to me by my mom. When my mom was a child she lived in a house with seven other brothers and sisters. With so many other siblings, her family found it very hard to spend time together as a complete family. My grandma made it clear to my mom and her siblings that they would always eat dinner as a family. This belief was passed on from my grandma to my mom, and now my mom has passed it down to me. “No matter what, we will always eat dinner as a family,” my mom would always tell me. At the time I didn’t really understand what the big deal was with eating a family dinner together, but now that I am older I can begin to understand why my mom was so particular in wanting to eat a family dinner every single night.

Every single day my family devotes about one hour of time where we can meet as a family and share recent stories of our busy lives. My family of seven sits at the large wooden table located in the middle of our kitchen. We smell the delicious aromas of decadent spices from the delicious dinner that my mom has spent a lot of time preparing. We laugh at each other’s jokes and we actively listen to what each other have to say. It is a very joyous time and we seem to grow closer as a family as each day passes.

Between school, work, and after school activities, I live a very busy life. By the time school is over I have golf practice for two hours. By the time that I finally get home, I have homework to do. Even though my life is very busy and complex, I always find time to eat dinner with my family every day. This isn’t just a belief shared by me. My entire family cherishes this belief as well.

After we are all finished eating and enjoying each others company, we individually rush back to the busy lives we have. Even though we rush back to our busy lives when we are done, during that hour with my family, I feel as if all the worries of my complex life are gone, and I feel as if I can just sit back and relax.