It holds no fear.

Donna - Natchitoches, Louisiana
Themes: courage, illness

This I believe.

there are no three words more frightening than, “you have cancer.” The day I was diagnosed is just a vague memory. Except for those three words. Those three words live, breathe and sometimes die with you. No promises and no false hopes. Just facts and test results. Remission or relapse, either way, those three words are constant.They walk with you everyday to the grocery store, doctor’s office and funerals. It is an emotional and physical presence that will shape your very being and is never cured. But I have a choice; I can let it overtake me or I can fight it. I choose to fight.

This I believe.

I depend on my faith, family and friends to throw the lifelines that save me from drowning as I question and ponder the many dimensions of the disease. I know in my heart there are no answers to my questions. Cancer treats everyone the same regardless of age, sex or race. It cares little for whom or what you are. Anyone can be a cozy home for these misbehaving cells to reside in.

This I believe.

I cannot live in fear and let the fact that some people will live and some people will die control my life. Each day is a new beginning filled with hope. Cancer has taught me how precious a day can be.

This I believe.

A friend of mine once quoted her father as saying that, “fear would defeat her if she let it.” I have looked cancer in the face and it holds no fear.

This I believe.

Life is for living. Live it to the fullest and never look back.