Community, love and goodness, I believe in these things.

Christine - Portland, Maine

I believe in equality, love, goodness in all and the power of these things in communities, families, and friends.

I grew up in New York, where personalities flourish, and the mixture of culture, race, sexual orientation and religion is everywhere. I also grew up going to Catholic school, in a home that was not completely awful, but somewhat broken and unpleasant. As a young person, all of these dissimilar aspects of life became a part of who I am.

Due to being around constant diversity I was taught that there is no correct or incorrect, no superior or inferior, and it made the word “normal” not mean acceptable but mundane. Although I do not practice the religion I was brought up in, I believe that it taught me to love all for who they are and to always put yourself out in the world as a helper, lover and a healer.

I went to Catholic school for nine years, and in that time I wore a uniform. I often reflect on this and know that because we all wore the same thing no matter what our background, it opened my eyes to this fact; we are all the same human species, equip with the same tools and it is for us that decide what we will do with them.

Through-out my childhood I saw copious amounts of money problems, emotional abuse, poor parenting, and misplaced priorities, but these things do not make me bitter! Growing up in a broken home can do a lot of things to children, but what it did for me was it made me really appreciate the good things in life. As a young person I made a pact with myself to not let my life go down the same road as my parents but instead to find what made me happy, to keep my finances in order, never be with someone who would treat me any less then the way they would want to be treated, and it made me discover a passion in childhood development and teaching that I don’t think I would have if I grew up any other way.

In this new age of individualism, where most everyone has their own car, an ipod in their ear, a phone in their pocket, and super-stores where you can buy groceries, a car battery, and a new wardrobe at one time, community and love for each other is slowly being replaced with objects and dollars signs. The average person is losing the knowledge of what a fresh picked carrot at a farmer’s market tastes like, the feeling of local music at pay your own price show or the value of a one on one conversation with someone new. I believe that these things are still alive and that there will always be people that appreciate these human connections. I am this person, will always strive to be, and will always be looking for others like me.