I have a problem with belief.

Theresa - Raymond, Washington

I have a problem with belief. Belief would close my mind, end my quest, stop my questions. Belief, in any degree, imiplies an assumed certainty, a knowledge that can be taken for granted as the truth. The only thing I am certain of is that change is the only constant. Even that may be illusion. I can not believe in God. God is my endless question. Can I believe that the sun will rise? No. It may not.

My mother is a woman of faith. She claims it conforts and strengthens her. When I was a young child my mother raised me in her faith. What gave my mother so much, gave me nothing and demanded everything. I was a disappointment to my mother and punished for my lack of faith. When I became educated I learned I was in the company of many great scientist who could not reconcile the truth of their observations with the dogma of the contempory tyrants of faith. I’d like to just be happy for my mother’s confort. Yet, I’d love to strangle the ingnorance out of her and rip off her blinders. Like she once believed she could do to me.

Now, I am beyond my parent’s command. But I still live in a world suffering the insanity of the faithfull. Those believers so pompus as to claim to know the mind of God, are those that start with the sin of trying to control others. Self control alone is all in the world worth having. Power – the control of others is what we lust for. Depriving others of their self control is humanity';s greatest perversion.

My mother told me God’s greatest gift to mankind was free-will, the ability to choose for one’s self. What a peaceful love filled world we would live in if this is the gift we gave to every other human.