I believe that there don’t always have to be answers

daniel - Belmont, California
Themes: question

For most of my life, I have not believed in any religion, supreme beings, or divine providence. I do not believe in an afterlife or physical reincarnation. I don’t believe in ghosts, alien visitation, psychic powers or any other supernatural phenomena. I don’t believe there is any sort of built in universal justice – now or after I die.

As I listened to this essay series on NPR, I began to wonder what did I believe? Were there any concepts I accepted without some sort of proof? Did I have faith in anything?

Eventually, I arrived at a yes. There is something I have faith in. I do have a set of beliefs. I believe that not everything in the universe can or ever will be explained. I believe that humans could be all there is – that there are no angels, spirits, aliens or other forms of “similar” life out there – that we may be all alone. I believe that I can live my entire life without understanding why I’m here or why the universe is the way it is.

I ask questions the nature of universe, and will always continue to do so, but I am comfortable believing that I may never know the answers. I also believe that this is my one shot at life, and it is my opportunity to make my life a heaven or hell, as none awaits me after I die.

Do answers give comfort? Sure, but since I’m skeptical and take few answers at face value, I rarely find comfort in answers other than the occasional scientific ones. I have learned to find comfort in ambiguity and unknowing, because, I believe ambiguity is the more pragmatic and omnipresent space in which I should exist.