Tiny Park Big Things

Eduardo - hillsboro, Oregon
Themes: setbacks

Eddy A

Tiny Park Big Things

March 8th changed the way I will look at the tiny park that I have lived by and grew up at for 14 years of my life. To me it was just another typical day of me going to go play basketball, however this day was different. As I was walking to the court I noticed my friends I grew up with all my life since I had moved here from Mexico, were playing basketball, friends who I have never seen or expect to ever come to my neighborhood were there, I knew something was going to happen but acted normal. I greeted them like I usually do and asked me if I wanted to play, I said sure, but as I was shaking my last friends hand I noticed he had a gun resting in his waist. He greeted me with our handshake we never forgot how to do since we were kids. He looked at me and smiled I smiled back and asked him if he was going to play. He replied with a simple no and just stood there looking around as we played basketball, as if he was waiting something to happen.

What I feared would happen, actually started to happened, during the second game I heard whistling across the street. There was a bunch of my cousin’s friends whistling throwing up gang signs. Then out of the group I see my cousin start walking up to the basketball court twisting his figures in various ways spelling out words, symbols, and numbers, as he was getting closer and closer, my heartbeat got louder and louder with every step my cousin took. That’s when my other friend who smiled at me and didn’t play basketball with us, stood straight and tall ready for what ever came. It got to the point where I felt as if my friends could hear my heart thump, because it got so loud that’s all I heard. I wanted to warn him about my friend’s gun that I had seen earlier but I couldn’t react in time. Before I knew it my cousin was already reaching into his waist as fast as he could almost as if that’s all he knew how to do. My stomach dropped. My friend who smiled at me, took his gun out before my cousin could even aim at him, I saw him pull the trigger hitting my cousin in the leg. I’ve heard a gun being fired a couple blocks away but never that close. The sound of the bullet leaving its home penetrated the air, and the piercing sound made my ears ring.

My cousin was on the ground reaching for his gun to shoot back but luckily he didn’t reach it or else someone would have died. As my friends ran back to their car, still shooting at all my cousins friends that ran. They hit windows walls mailboxes vans but missed their targets. Everyone ran and a couple minutes later the police and all the news stations came to broadcast it live. I will never see my tiny park I grew up in the same ever again.