cheesier than macaroni

Corrina - Hillsboro, Oregon

Being just another macaroni noodle in this beg pot of life sometimes you have to be a little bit cheesy to stand out. In a world where individuality is such a lusted after quality why then is it still so obscure? My theory is that people are too afraid of being cheesy but honestly it’s not the worst thing in the world. Since we live in a civilization that has existed for thousands of years really nothing is original anymore so if doing something that has already been done is what people consider cheesy then isn’t everything that everyone does everyday cheesy?

I remember first entering middle school and feeling like I had to go out of my way to stand out from the crowd. I took this idea to the extremist lengths possible from just saying strange things that really made no sense to anyone myself included, to some disgusting and unhealthy things that I now refuse to admit I ever did. But the point is I thought if I didn’t make people notice me in either a positive or negative way then I wasn’t really being an individual. Later in my life I have found that this was probably one of the most ridiculous ideas that I have ever had in my seventeen years of life. in doing things strictly for the purpose of getting noticed I wasn’t really being myself because honestly I don’t think I would have had any motivation to do the things that I did otherwise. So in doing this I was being cheesy but not in a good way that would make me look like a person who stands out for the right reasons.

All people whether they admit it or not have their cheesy moments and in these moments not only is your humanity on display but your character as well. Anyone who can accept the cheesy moments, acknowledge them, and move on is someone who is being true to themselves and not worried about what anyone else is going to think. Since I have since left middle school and made this realization I feel that I have become someone that is alright with my slightly cheesy personality and that accepts when those moments do occur where other people witness the extents of it. So in any situation that I feel awkward about looking or feeling strange around other people, I remember that being cheesier than macaroni makes me and the rest of the world more genuine.