Cinderella Story

Alyssa - Hillsboro, Oregon

As I walk down the long, crowded hallway I see everyone part like the Red Sea for the “popular” kids. In my mind I wish I was cool enough to be a part of them; that I could have a chance to one day feel what it would be like to be popular. This is hard to admit but in my life that was my goal. That meant I had to wear popular brand clothes, have the straight, flawless hair, and be skinny. This goal was my main priority, and I lost friends in the process. I started getting into bad habits, failing classes, and I started acting like a stuck up brat.

People never saw the real me because the way I was didn’t fit into the cool girl category. I didn’t ever fit in, so my friends were not that nice. There was no one else I could hang out with, so I had to deal with it. My friends would sometimes ignore me and when I walked past them they would just say, “Hey”, and keep walking. I was always different from them. I was more myself, and that landed me my first boyfriend.

In most movies I see this lone girl in school against a group of popular kids that always win. The girl that didn’t try to fit in got the guy and the mean, popular girls lost. I was watching the movie Cinderella and it showed me that I was in the same situation. Cinderella, even though she was poor, got the Prince in the end. The evil step-sisters were my old friends. They were the ones who were brats, and didn’t get the Prince because of it.

Sophomore year was when all of the bad events happened to me. Now I have decided to be just like Cinderella. By doing this I have gotten new friends, and they like me for who I am. They don’t criticize the clothes I wear, or hang out with me out of sympathy. My friends are always there for me. I have an amazing boyfriend that loves me for who I am. It’s nice to know I fit in by just being myself. I look at my old friends now that I used to hang out with, and I see they have not changed. They are digging themselves deeper and deeper into this hole they can’t get out of, and I never want to go back to that.

I love my new life, and know I can always be myself. One problem teens like me face is they try to fit in with people in gangs or become part of a clique that makes bad choices. Teenagers need to realize they need to just be themselves. Being who you are gives other teens a good example of how easy life is. Being yourself makes life easier, and you can show yourself to the world and somehow contribute your talents.