Pain is Temporary

Brett - Hillsboro, Oregon

I landed in agony as my elbow dislocated. A minute earlier I wasn’t planning on being in pain, I knew there was a chance but I didn’t think it could happen to me. I was sitting at the top of rose city on Mt. hood meadows staring down at the forty foot kicker I was about to launch myself off. I was going to attempt a back flip. I had done the inverted trick into soft powder, but never on a hard packed park jump. Sitting with friends at the top I knew I had to try it, I knew I would regret leaving without giving the back flip a try. I stood up, knowing if I sat too long the thought of what could happen would over take my want to try it. No one sitting with me knew what I was going to attempt. I didn’t need the added pressure and that way I didn’t feel like a pansy if I backed out.

I took off toward the jump, visualizing the trick. As I hit the kicker I popped off the top of the face. As I turned upside down I searched for my landing. The noise from the people on the nearby lift fueled me. I could feel that I was slightly over rotating. As the tail end of my board touched down I stuck out my arm to help from sliding out. But the impact was too much to handle and it pulled my elbow out of socket just enough to break off a piece of my bone.

The sharp pain in my elbow made me sick to my stomach. But I was so close to landing it. I wanted to try again. Riding the lift back up I had plenty of time to consider what had just happened. I knew that if I didn’t get up there and try it again I may never. I told my friends I’m not leaving until I land it. I ended up getting the landing on the 5th attempt and I did a 360 on the jump further down the run. I was so excited, but I was done for the day. My arm was killing me. It was worth it.

This story represents how I go about obstacles in my life. Trying that after breaking my arm wasn’t the best Idea but if that perseverance is applied to everyday life there is a good chance for success. I believe if something doesn’t work out you suck it up and try it again. Giving up is for the weak. Quitting hurts more than just the quitter. Life can be hard sometimes. There’s always a risk of getting hurt whether it’s physical or mental you can learn something from the experience and it can help you in the next attempt.