Unconditional Love

Bryan - Aloha, Oregon
Themes: love

Opening the door was the hardest part. I had done times before yet this time I knew in my heart it was different. The door slowly creaked open and the smell of smoke and burning plastic filled my nostrils as my five foot body caught a glimpse of my older sister sprawled out on a dirty couch. This was the neighbor’s house, I had known it my whole life but never had I seen it like this. I ran up to my sister, “Jill mom wants you to come home now.” I said in a high pitched voice. Her crusty bloodshot eyes slowly awakened and she shoved me to the floor, and then rolled in to the crevasse of the couch. Landing inches from a broken syringe I got up, and then slipped on a puddle of spilt beer, falling through the glass table I had made a note of walking around earlier. Glass shards riddled my arms and I crawled out of the broken metal frame. Tears ran down my face although I wasn’t weeping. I marched over to my sister and grabbed her hand tight, staring deeply into her eyes as she turned. She looked at me puzzled and then slowly rose to her feet. We walked home that night. Her, taller than me for the last time, and me, a mere nine years old being exposed to my fifteen year old sister’s drug addiction. The walk was silent, but without words it meant so much. She later went to rehab treatment out of her own free will. My mom says it was my love for her that brought her back, not her own thought of repercussions.

Unconditional love. What is it? What is love anyways? Love has been around since the beginning of time. It is in religion and mythology. Love has influenced kingdoms and perspired their demise. Love can be selective or unconditional depending on the situation. Some people when thinking about love relate to Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet. The two love straught teenagers battling the ties of their family’s disputes all for their bond of love. Others when hearing the word love think of the mother of a troubled teen, who on countless occasions bailed their child out of jail. While being furious with their uncontrollable hooligan, they still will always unconditionally love their offspring.

Love can be different for a person. For instance, I love my little brother. He can be the most annoying little insect in the entire world at times yet in the end I always love him. In another scenario, being “in love” with your girlfriend, fiancée or wife is a different kind of love. This love you can’t escape. Infatuation is a better way to describe this kind of love. You are unable to go minutes without even slightly thinking about this person. When you see them you remember every reason why you are with them and what you “love” about them. When apart, you are torn and yearn for the next time you will be reunited.

Today’s society takes for granted this word. This world that every country shares. The ties of marriage are set around this word and the thought of spending the rest of your life with this person. Now, love is a get out of jail free card. The “gold-diggers” who marry into a wealthy partnership so that they can divorce their spouse and make a profit. Or the pressured teen that happens to get pregnant and then feel as though she should get married. Both of these events usually end badly and if avoided can make a prosperous marriage. The thought of love has been lost and needs to be found once again.

I believe love is the most powerful and important thing in the world. It has brought together so many and helped them through the roughest time. Todays society has taken for granted the ties of love, the true raw meaning. And I believe that we need to reclaim its glory and its standing amongst our people.