Bio-Mess

Cason - Hillsboro, Oregon
Themes: change, science

I use to hate biology, it was my least favorite class and my high first high school love sat next to me. I never got work done in that class, but somehow, I seemed to learn a lot from it. One fundamental lesson we learned was that if certain living beings had no more room to grow they would no longer grow. They would adapt to their environment, which was smaller than they could potentially be. Once these plants or animals would move to open more vast areas, they would spring to life once again and grow. Once they were taken out of their element or given room to sprout they would grow.

When I was young I had just about everything figured out to a ‘T’, I knew exactly what I wanted and how to get it. I have lived only a small portion of real life and have learned very quickly my philosophy must change in order to get what I want/need. I was a young child when I realized music was my life. I thought things were figured out for people, they were meant to live a certain way and I was meant to live that way. No matter what happened, that is where I would end up.

Now that I am a bit older I still feel like I have everything figured out to a ‘T’, but the things I think are completely different however. Cigarettes are not as cool anymore, hard work can get you somewhere and nice guys don’t always finish last (or first). And maybe the best I can do is not always enough. I have to accept that. My philosophy works perfect for me right now, but it will change soon. It must change in order to achieve what I need to achieve.

I believe my philosophy is organic, that is, my philosophy is ever evolving and changing. It is growing to fit and suit each day perfectly. My philosophy is slightly irregular, fits where it is needed but basic laws are always the same. When asked “yes or no” moral questions my favorite answer is almost always “It depends…” This is often the best way to answer most questions about philosophy.

Like the living organic beings in high school biology my philosophy is always changing, this I believe is the best way to swim through life. We learn from experience, leaving our element forces us to grow. And giving ourselves room to expand…expands us. My point is, like in biology if we don’t allow ourselves to be exposed to new things, if we don’t push ourselves out of our element we will stay small and soft hearted in our original often static environments.