The Ultimate Nirvana

Methi - Salem, Oregon

The Ultimate Nirvana

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from my years in middle school, it’s that your appearance matters, but most people don’t understand why. As a society people seem to think that if you wear the ‘right’ clothes you will be ‘popular’. I question this. What is the true definition of ‘popular’? I don’t see why we must wear the same hair style as some famous movie star or listen to the only ‘good’ kind of music to be accepted. Buddhists believe in karma, and so do I. What goes around comes around. If you treat someone like dirt most likely they won’t think so highly of you, and others will scorn you as well. But respect people for who they are, treat them as you would treat yourself and smile once or twice and you will be sure to make some friends. I believe inner peace can be achieved when you are loved by all, and this should be the goal of every human being. Being ‘loved by all’ doesn’t only mean those of your clique, but all people. I believe that when you are commonly liked by everyone you know, you have achieved the ultimate nirvana.

Jumping around as an outcast of society has made me observant. I’m proud to say that because I don’t belong in one clique, I am free to talk to many different types of people. I’ve noticed that people are so worried about their appearance because they’ve lost what’s inside them, their internal beauty. They become a shell, like a hollowed out plastic Barbie, sold by the thousands and yet all identical. I think America has become a nation of Barbie dolls. We strive to beautiful without considering what beauty really is. Beauty is the radiance that shines off you when you help carry groceries for an old lady or the flush you get when you’ve just run a mile to raise money for cancer patients. Beauty screams for attention when you’ve been elected class president. So you see, beauty is not a look, it’s an emotion.

I believe pimple cream is a misnomer because even though it may get rid of those nasty zits on your face, does it get rid of the disgust you feel about yourself from having a zit in the first place? Even the strongest of pimple medications cannot scour our scarred conscience. There are many girls at school who wear layer upon layer of foundation, mascara, eyeliner, and numerous other beautification devices. These are the same girls that have a fit when they have a break out, but for what? Will they become better people if they have perfect skin or look like Tyra Banks?

I’ll admit I wasn’t blessed with perfect skin. My little brother often calls me ‘crater-face’. He doesn’t understand that zits are just a part of growing up. Sometimes I feel that acne is like losing a limb. People look at you differently. But I’ve completed that journey and I’m starting a new one. This is my final year in middle school. I’ve learned to live my life, even if I do have a pimple or two. I know that I will always be beautiful, on the inside. I’m on my way to nirvana.