Pride in America

Georgia - Martinsville, Virginia

This I believe

I believe that pride goeth before the fall and too much personal pride is not good. I also believe that as an American, I should feel pride in my country. Pride has been an unwritten inalienable right since Americans marched into WWI with banners flying high to the strains of The Yanks are Coming. Yes, the Americans were arrogant and sometimes disreputable, but they did the right thing when it came to the rules of engagement. Old movies depicting WWII and the liberating of Dachau and the other concentration camps still can send chills up and down my spine. John Wayne and the national anthem depicted the American ideal of a proud warrior bringing justice to the down trodden.

Something changed my feeling of pride in this country. Today, our president vetoed a law that I believe makes us no better than our enemies. The president stated that using torture against our prisoners of war gets results and therefore Americans will use torture while interrogating war criminals. The concept of Americans torturing the enemy does not make me proud. Something has been taken away from me: my unwritten inalienable right to be proud of my country. Not only have the standards lowered, but also the safety and well-being of the American soldier jeopardized. There is no recourse for our soldiers: when they are captured, they too will be tortured: an eye for an eye.

Some countries such as Israel have said no to torture. I believe there would be more pride in our country if we too had just said no to torture.