Why we are needy and impatient.

Emily - Springfield, Massachusetts

I believe that cell phone have created needy, impatient people, myself included. In the past years, cell phones have gone from a convenience to a necessity. The idea behind the cell phone has changed the world in a positive way. Family can communicate more, businesses can be run more effectively, free long distance allows people to keep in touch, and the world is more efficient. But as my grandfather says, “I lived seventy years without one, why do I need one?” And the common response is, “you NEED one because…” followed by various explanations. But do we really NEED them?

My brother gets very impatient if he has to leave a message. He often leaves one saying, “well I’m glad you are paying for a cell phone and do not answer it, what if it was an emergency?” Frustrated with this needy attitude, if it was an emergency, he should do what he would have done if it was a house phone. Leave a message, and I will call him back.

Although this bothers me, I am guilty of becoming more impatient. If I call my Dad and he doesn’t’ answer, I will catch myself calling my mom to see where he is. This convenience has turned me into a monster. Also, my dad is a real estate agent so he has his cell phone on him at all times during the day. Therefore I call him at any moment for an answer to a quick question that I am too lazy to look up myself. If I did not have a cell phone I’d have to open a book or look up the answer, and learn it on my own, rather than have him tell me the answer.

The positive things cell phone bring, such as reassuring my mom I made a long drive safely or keeping my cousin who lives in Hawaii in touch with our family, creates a convenience has become a necessity. This necessity has produced needy, impatient people. Whither or not I NEED a cell phone… I believe the reality is accepting that there is no going back to the rotary phone ages and that people are needier and more impatient than before.