I Believe In Laughing Often

Angelina - Boise, Idaho

I Believe In Laughing Often

By Angelina Johnson

I believe in laughing often.

From the time we are babies we are encouraged to laugh. When someone tickles us, when someone makes a funny face or sound, or when someone plays peek-a-boo, we laugh.

As we get a few years older, everything is fun and makes us laugh. We learn jokes, funny stories, or funny actions. We enjoy laughing and our laughing can be contagious.

When we hit college and adulthood we sometimes forget how to laugh. People get so caught up in school and work that they don’t notice things that once made them laugh. If we grow up with our heads and hearts full of laughter, why can’t we stay that way? Adults need to laugh too!

I believe in laughing often because it is good for the body and soul. I once saw a sign that said, “If you don’t have wrinkles you haven’t smiled enough.” I believe the same goes for laughing. Everyone has the capability of laughing; sometimes they just need to be reminded they can.

Laughter brings joy and happiness. I can’t count how many times a day I laugh, but the days I don’t laugh much are very sad and quiet ones.

Laughing can be medicine, though sometimes it can make you throw up, cry, or pee your pants. If you do pee your pants from laughing, that just makes everyone laugh harder.

My friends can start laughing about the simplest things. At lunch we can be talking and someone will say something, but somebody thought she said something else, and then one of us will start laughing, and soon all of us are gasping for air, holding our sides, or wiping our eyes, not remembering why we were laughing so hard.

I love making people laugh. I try to always smile because smiles are contagious too, but if I have the opportunity, I would rather have them laugh. I have always had a flare for the dramatic. In elementary school, during dinner I would talk and talk, telling stories about what happened at school that had been funny. My family would laugh with me. (Little did I know then that they were actually laughing at me.)

I still tell stories at dinner and talk a lot. In fact, a few months after my sister got married and moved out my brother-in-law said he missed the dinnertime entertainment—meaning me.

I believe in laughing often. Full, deep in your gut, grabbing your sides, wiping your eyes, gasping for air, peeing your pants laughing. Age doesn’t matter. The older you get the more wrinkles you should get—mostly from laughing.