The Path to Coldplay

Andrea - Los Altos, California
Themes: pleasure

The Path to Coldplay

Self-discovery is a long journey it seems. No one owns the manual on how to figure out who you are. You are told in school to experiment with everything until you find your own place in the world. They can’t tell you anything else because nothing else works. You and I are both so different that we could never receive the same directions and end up in the same place. It’s like sex. How do you know how sex feels if you have never had it? How do you find out who you are if you don’t know what you are searching for? I’ve come to the conclusion that you just have to spend your whole life looking for the things that make you who you are. On your life-long journey of self-discovery, you are given only one guideline; you have to follow what makes you happy.

The first piece of the puzzle to my entirety of my soul I found when I was thirteen years old. So naïve in the fast growing world of junior high, I was soon lost in the thick forest of boys, grades, and hormones. My first doses of drama and relationships seemed to blot out any path I had been following towards finding myself. But I soon discovered that with a step off the campus and towards my comfy chair placed in front of a heavy and boring computer monitor, I could find my path again.

An unknown music program named Rhapsody gave me the key to this puzzle piece when it flashed the British band, Coldplay, across the screen. Intrigued, I double clicked on the small round play button besides their first CD and listened, open to anything, ready for everything. The melody began and what a brilliant and familiar melody it was! I had heard it so many times on numerous unhelpful radio stations and never once tried to find it. But now here I was; on my path expecting nothing but receiving so much. My heart pumped blood of pure happiness into every vein and artery in my body, my pulse quickened as if in applause of my first memorable moment of feeling purely like me.

That simple moment is the closest thing I can describe to being supremely happy. The feeling of my own heart beating more vibrantly and joyously than it ever had in my life was the most tangible proof of genuine happiness I had ever experienced. If I could feel the way I did when I heard the song “Clocks” for the first time for the rest of my life, I doubt I could want anything more.

It’s the happiness we receive from our lives that makes life worth living at all. It’s the happiness we follow to discover what we want to do and be. So I tip my hat to Thomas Jefferson and his recognition of the most important belief I hold as a human: the pursuit of happiness.