Getting Your Bang For Your Buck

Pedro Rodriguez - Boise, Idaho
Themes: work

“Anything worth doing is worth doing… well” (Steve Brown).

Ever since I can remember I have always tried to do my best on most of what I have done. For projects, I try to show the best of my skills and in work that I care about, the same. This embodies the idea that Brown is trying to convey, that if I, all of me , myself and I, am taking the time to do this, I might as well do it well.

I can remember in fourth grade when I changed my attitude about school. This was a sort of coming of age in terms of realizing that work was important. I learned how to be organized and how to use my time effectively. At the beginning I absolutely hated it and did not think it was useful, but much to my surprise it became easier. Although I spent more time than I would have liked organizing my binder and whatnot, I came out better for it. All this was because I realized that I would have to do it, so I might as well learn how to do it well.

Now I have learned to apply that principle to other aspects of my life. As I write this I can only recall a certain scene in one of my favorite movies, batman begins, where the mentor tells the to-be batman that the will to act is more important than everything, including training. I have to agree with his sentiment; it is oftentimes not a matter of skill or intelligence but one of effort. There are plenty of things that are worth doing that don’t get done just because there isn’t the will to act. From this I learned that although there is something worth doing, it would still require me to have the will.

The last experience that is important to my belief in effort is National history Day. Last year, I was able to sweep the State competition and compete in nationals. During the awards ceremony, I remember the butterflies in my stomach and the names go by, one by one. As the speaker came up to my category, 4th, 3rd, and 2nd were all announced, it was all or nothing. When I heard my name I could not be happier. All this was due to the effort that I had put into the project, effort that was well spent. Again, this shows the good things that can come from doing things that are worth doing. and doing them well.

Every experience I have leads me to confirm that things that are worth doing, are worth doing well.

So in the end, just get your bang for your buck and put in the effort.