I Believe in Slamming Doors . . .

Melissa - South Reading, Vermont
Themes: family, love

I believe in slamming doors and saying, “I love you.”

Have you ever had a fight with a sibling or a parent? At the time, you feel like it’s not your fault even if it really is, and you probably feel like you don’t need to apologize or maybe you think the world is “out to get you.” You won’t forgive anyone and you are so mad that you want to break something or slam a door. I have felt this irritated, but I know that if I were to slam my door my mom would not be very forgiving. My mom would tell me that it is rude to slam doors and that would land me in more trouble, since it was her house, her rules. I don’t slam doors anymore whenever I feel like it because I know now that that is immature and doesn’t solve anything; however, sometimes I feel like it. I think that if you have good reason, you should be able to slam doors. Metaphorically speaking that is.

I believe that you need to show emotion. Now I don’t mean that you have to be the center of attention telling all your friends about the latest scandal, dishing the drama or spreading your feelings or opinions about certain people,. No—I mean, I don’t think that you should bottle up your emotions. If you’re sad, angry or stressed, you shouldn’t keep them inside of yourself because one day—sooner than you will probably think—you will explode. You will blow up at something ridiculous or someone and all of your hard work of keeping your feelings inside you will be blown by one small eruption when you should have emptied all those bottled-up emotions out a while ago. I believe that you shouldn’t cry over spilled milk, but it’s ok to cry if you’ve had a bad week and everything comes crashing down off the fridge shelf when you open the door to take the milk out. In other words, if you’re having a bad day, or everything’s not going extremely well for you, it’s ok to follow the command on the side of the Kleenex box and, “Let it out.” You shouldn’t let your stress or anger reach the point where you might spontaneously snap. I believe in talking it out, letting it out, or “slamming doors” while you have the chance before you lash out at someone and do something you might regret later.

I believe in saying, “I love you.” I think that you should never leave anywhere or go to bed angry. I think that if you have a problem, you should talk it out with the person and not hold grudges because you never know when’s the last time you will see them and you wouldn’t want your last memory of them to be of a fight you had. I believe in telling your loved ones how you feel because some things need to be said even if they are already known.

When I was younger, my parents would come in to my room and tuck me in before I went to bed, and even though I may be too old to be “tucked in,” sometimes it’s nice to have my parents come in to say goodnight, just because it’s comforting and makes me feel reassured. This is why I believe in telling people you love them; even if actions do speak louder than words, it’s nice to hear those words and they are important to say.