I believe in not telling anyone my fears or dislikes.

Lauren - Boise, Idaho
Themes: fear

I believe in not telling anyone my fears or dislikes. I learned that from my own and others experiences.

I remember my dad coming in my room when I was screaming that there was a spider. I’d be standing as far away as possible from it, but I needed to be able to see it so it wouldn’t get away. Of course he would kill it and I’d relax because it was dead, but then he’d chase me around the house with the tissues that the spider’s body was still in.

Another one of my experiences with spiders happened more recently. At the cabin of one of my mom’s co workers, one of them found a spider crawling up their arm. They were sitting in the chair right next to me, and I jumped up out of my chair and ran into a different room and locked the door. He got it off his arm and he chased me with the live spider and tried to get it in the room I was in.

I’ve personally experienced one time at school when I should have kept quiet. In Biology we had to plant beans, but before we could plant them in the cups we had to pick them up out of a bowl full of what I think was water so the beans were all slimy. So when I carefully picked the bean up and threw it in my cup of dirt a girl noticed my reaction and she asked what the matter was. I told her, and I shouldn’t have, that I thought the beans were disgusting. She laughed and grabbed an extra bean out of the bowl. When I sat down later she had her extra bean and she started to peel the skin off and tear the bean in half. The bean in slimy pieces was even grosser! So because I’d told her they were nasty she started to throw the bean pieces in my face and in my bag!

At school I’ve also learned from the other girls not to say when I’m scared of some of the pets kept in some of my teacher’s classrooms, or a bug someone found. I know not to say anything because as soon as the other girls squeaked about them or said they were gross or creepy the boys would go grab the rat or snake out of the cage and put it on the girls face (or chase them).

I learned that because I didn’t say anything there wouldn’t be a rat or a snake in my face next time I turned around. But it’s too late for me at home because everyone already knows I hate spiders.