Don’t Look Back In Anger

Lara - Thompson, Connecticut

I believe that normal does not exist. People constantly call things weird, including myself. But what is normal? And what is weird if there is no defined normal? Nobody is normal, at least nobody that I have met so far. I do not have any idea what is considered normal; it is a very abstract concept. If it was possible I think the word normal should be removed from the English language completely. The definition of normal says, “of the usual standard or type; regular; usual”. What is this standard? And how do we know what this standard is? We don’t know therefore this definition tells you nothing. The line between normal and abnormal is very indistinct, if not completely nonexistent.

Some people may for some reason think I am normal, but that is completely preposterous, unless you consider someone who spent about half her summer in a chat room and listens to music at least 50 percent of the day and gets songs stuck in her head for an entire day because of single word from a song. For instance I was in history class and we were talking about the Industrial Revolution and “Don’t Look Back in Anger” got stuck in my head for the rest of the day because of the line “I’m gonna start a Revolution from my Bed”. I believe that finding the definition of the word normal is just like achieving perfection is unattainable. It is not possible for a person to be normal and it is not possible to be perfect.