The Unspoken Language

Ruben - Harlingen, Texas

What is music? Is it just notes on a page or something you just hear on the radio? Many people, sadly, believe that this is true.

Okay, I’m going to take you a couple of years back when I was a fifth grader at Austin Elementary, this is ,of course, when I was a little, chubby 10 year old boy. Back then I had music class where I TRIED to play the recorder. Let’s just say I wasn’t going to play at Carnegie Hall anytime soon. I couldn’t play it or even read the music but for some strange and peculiar reason I wanted to keep going with music, which is why I joined the Orchestra in middle school.

Wow and I thought the recorder was hard!!

I chose to play the Viola and yeah that was a challenge. There in orchestra I finally learned how to read music but playing the instrument was a WHOLE other story.

There were so much technical things about the instrument. “You have to put your fingers like that!” my instructor would tell me. “Instrument up your not shooting cockroaches!!” he would scream.

I noticed though I didn’t feel like a musician. I would watch and listen to Itzhak Perlman and William Primrose perform but I didn’t understand how they did it. How did they know when to crescendo or do vibrato? How did they know when to press down on the bow? What knowledge must they possess that make them so great? It’s as if music is a secret language that only certain people know. What is the answer to my questions?

Now that I am in high school the answer is simple. Music really is another language. But it is not a secret one like I said. It is a language that anyone can speak, whether it is by producing it with an instrument or by your own voice.

The origin of this language is your emotions. Emotions are what makes music. When anyone can truly understand this then music is simple the way it should be.

I believe that music is a language. Many people might believe that music is just for entertainment or just notes on a page but to me it’s not. These kinds of people, sadly, just don’t understand the language, my language.