The Ability to Laugh at Yourself

Alysia - Gaylord, Michigan

In a world where “no news is good news,” life can get a bit depressing. Even through all of the bad things happening in the world, and the tiny annoyances in my everyday life, I am able to laugh at myself.

I believe that everybody should learn to laugh at themselves, for it will teach you to love yourself, and it will make you an overall happier person.

Just a few days ago, I was playing hockey in gym class. I was getting really into the game, then, suddenly, I was hit in the face by my opponent’s stick. Instead of getting all embarrassed and angry like some people may have, I just laughed it off, then got back up to play some more.

Another time, I had to memorize a conversation in Spanish class, and then present it. I knew that I had it down fairly well, so I wasn’t very worried. My partner and I stood up to present it, but then I stumbled over one of my lines. It took me a few seconds to recall it, but then I finally remembered and we kept on going. Once we were done, I just had to laugh because everything worked out in the end, and it would have been such a small thing to ruin my day for.

In life, you just can’t let all of the little things to get you down. You need to find a way to get through the small annoyances, and I have found my way through being able to laugh at myself. This has taught me that I can forgive myself, and in turn love myself.

When I was younger, I used to really care about what people thought of who I was. So when I would do even the smallest, most insignificant thing, I would feel embarrassed. An event, such as answering the wrong question when called upon in class, would have gotten my spirit down for the rest of the day. Now that I look back upon those memories, I must laugh at myself for being the way that I was.

Over the last few years, however, I have begun to care less of what people thought, or said, about me. I have learned to love myself, learned to be proud of whom I am, and above all, learned to laugh at myself. I enjoy being the silly, sometimes random, smart, annoying teenager that I am. I am proud that I can, and always will, be able to laugh at myself.